Personal Injury Lawyer in Tavares
John Oldham is an AV® rated attorney, which is the highest rating an attorney can achieve in his area of practice considering the attorney’s experience, nature of practice, and qualifications relevant to the profession.
In 1995, he obtained the highest reported verdict ever awarded by a jury in Polk County, Florida on behalf of a client whose spinal cord was severely injured when his car was hit by an 18-wheel tractor-trailer. He followed that success by obtaining a record multi-million dollar verdict in Hernando County, Florida involving the death of a young father in a tractor-trailer accident. In 2000, he was the lead trial attorney in the highest wrongful death verdict in Tavares, Lake County, Florida involving a tanker tractor-trailer. In 2001 John was named to the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, which recognizes the most prestigious group of trial lawyers in the United States who have won multi-million dollar verdicts, awards, and settlements. He is thoroughly versed in both federal and state requirements for truck driver education and safety training and has specialized experience in accident reconstruction involving tractor-trailers.
John has been a member of the Florida Bar since 1988. He is a lifelong resident of Lake County, Florida, having grown up in the City of Leesburg. He currently lives in Mt. Dora, Florida. John is a former State Prosecutor for Orange County and Lake County. His experience as a State Prosecutor included trying several death penalty cases and other capital crimes. He was also appointed by the Governor of the State of Florida under an executive order for special assignments as a prosecutor for cases that involved conflicts with the local State Attorney. John served as the president of the Lake County Bar Association in 2001 and is a current member of the Lake County Bar Association Board of Directors. He is a member of the Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers, American Association for Justice, and the Trial Lawyers Group of the Florida Bar Association.
Areas of Practice
- Personal injury
- Wrongful death
- Tractor-trailer accidents
- Automobile accidents
- 100% of practice devoted to litigation
- Nova University Center for the Study of Law; Fort Lauderdale, Florida – J.D., 1987
- University of Florida; Gainesville, Florida – B.S.B.A., 1984
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Lake County Bar Association, Past President – Current Board of Directors
- Florida Bar, Member, Section of Trial Lawyers
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers, Member
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Rated
Past Employment Positions
- Orlando, Orange County and Tavares, Lake County, Assistant State Attorney, 1988 – 1994