Mini Golf Patron Dies After Being Electrocuted in Pond

Owners of recreational facilities such as mini golf courses have a duty to keep them free of dangerous conditions. Failing to do so can result in tragic accidents.

The death of an 11-year-old girl at a miniature golf course in the Orlando area has made national headlines and sparked an investigation by Orange County sheriff’s deputies. The girl was staying with her family, who were from out of state, at Orange Lake Resort, a time-share location, when they visited the mini golf attraction.

The accident happened when a golf ball the girl hit strayed into the water of a two-foot deep pond on the course. When she attempted to fish it out, other patrons could hear her screaming in pain. One of the guests, who was also visiting from another state, tried to help her but he was also injured.

The girl was taken to Florida Hospital/Celebration Health, where she later died. At first it was not entirely clear what caused her injuries, but authorities say that a medical examiner later determined that she was electrocuted.

The girl and the man who tried to help her were apparently shocked because the wrong electrical breakers were installed in the pond. They have since been removed for inspection and to prevent further accidents. It’s unclear how long they were there.

The family has since started a memorial fund in the girl’s name. She was laid to rest early this week.

Source: Orlando Sentinel, “Deputies investigate 11-year-old girl’s death at time share near Orlando,” Susan Jacobson, June 28, 2012


Contact Us Today to Learn More

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.