Most drivers assume they would know what to do if and when they are involved in a car accident. However, most drivers are not as intentional in covering all the necessary details as they should be immediately following a crash. Emotions are on edge. Injuries are always a possibility and must be handled properly.
Following is a brief overview of important steps to take following a Longwood, FL automobile accident:
- · You need to stay at the crash scene. It is imperative to remain at the sight of the accident until it has been deemed appropriate to leave. Leaving the crash scene early could lead to criminal charges.
- · Check on all persons in every vehicle. Assuming you are able to get out of your car, check to see if anyone has been injured and call for emergency medical help if necessary.
- · You must contact the police as soon as possible. Ask for proper police reports to be filed, especially in cases where significant property damage has occurred or there are personal injuries or even death of a victim. Obtain a copy for your records.
- · Exchange contact and insurance information with other drivers of all vehicles involved.
- · Guard your words and do not admit fault. Even in seemingly clear cases, outside circumstances can play a role in who is at fault.
- · Take pictures of the damage and of the conditions at the time of the wreck.
- · Talk to witnesses and acquire their contact information.
- · Inform your insurance company as soon as possible that you have been involved in a car crash. Longwood, FL residents may be under new insurance time limits. It is critical that all insurance matters are handled in a very timely manner.
- · Get medical care if necessary and maintain detail records of all doctor visits and bills. Also keep good records of any physical therapy that may be necessary for your complete recovery.
Each of these steps is vital in any accident. Contact a Longwood, FL car crash lawyer as quickly as possible and share all the pertinent details of your case while you still have a good memory of the events. The accident attorneys at Oldham Smith can help ensure you have the best possible outcome from any negative events resulting from a car crash.