Summer is an especially exciting time for our kids, and they can easily become distracted by friends or the activities of others around them. There are several key things you can do to keep your kids in a safety-conscious mindset this summer to ensure their summer vacation does not turn into a tragedy.
Summer Safety Ideas for Your Kids
Have family safety meetings where you discuss the importance of being safety conscious. Some ideas to establish for your family’s safety are listed below:
- Wear helmets and other safety gear when skateboarding, skating or bicycling.
- Apply suntan lotion properly when they plan to be outdoors longer than 15 minutes, and make sure the lotion is suitable for the activity, such as waterproof lotion if they are at the beach or a swimming pool.
- Make sure younger children wear floaters while swimming or near water.
- Be alert and seek immediate help if they see someone else struggling in the water, and never assume they are joking.
- Always stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Soft drinks should be limited.
- Never jog or go for a walk alone, and always let a parent know where they are going and when they are coming home.
- Stay safe distances away from drivers that may stop to ask for directions in addition to anyone who walks up to you to ask for money for food or gas.
In our effort to give our kids a carefree childhood, we may struggle with not wanting to burden them with the possibility of any lurking danger, but failing to alert them to “what if” situations in today’s world could have tragic repercussions. If you keep your discussions regarding safety lighthearted and fun, you can still instill the importance of being safety conscious, not only in the summer, but all through the year.
Tavares Personal Injury Attorneys
If you or one of your loved ones has been injured due to the negligence or carelessness of someone else, you need to contact the Tavares personal injury attorneys at Oldham & Smith.
For more information or to speak directly with an attorney, please call (352) 292-1620 or schedule a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer.