Seeking Justice for Accident Victims in Florida
Every 3 minutes, someone dies from an injury. This adds up to 214,000 people each year and even those who survive face life-long mental, physical, and financial consequences. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), for every person that dies, 13 are hospitalized and 129 are treated in an emergency room. Car accidents and falls are the most common culprits.
If you’ve been injured, you are not alone
Oldham & Smith has extensive experience with personal injury cases statewide in Florida. Our firm has access to the most advanced and reliable resources to develop a thorough case for your personal injuries that result from the negligence of another individual or entity.
Call us at (352) 292-1620 to learn more about how we can help you. We serve clients throughout Lake County.
Since our firm’s foundation in 1989, we have handled personal injury cases of nearly every kind. We put our experience to work for you, applying all that we know about local, state, and federal law to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
Experience You Can Trust
Oldham & Smith will work closely with you to develop the most solid case for your suffering. Increased medical bills, lost wages, and many life-changing strains occur when someone suffers a personal injury due to negligence. Insurance companies and corporate giants know that our accident attorneys will take an aggressive stance to protect your rights. Our firm always offers a free consultation and we only collect a fee if we are successful in recovering damages for you.
Personal injury cases allow you to recover both economic and non-economic damages. The difference between these types of damages is exactly what it sounds like. Economic damages account for measurable expenses, like medical bills and missed wages, and non-economic damages compensate you for pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and other non-economic tolls the injury takes on your life. Collectively, all these awards are called compensatory damages.
In some cases, you may also be entitled to punitive damages, which are designed to punish the wrongdoer and give you additional comfort. Punitive damages are sometimes called exemplary damages because they make an example of the defendant to discourage similar behavior in the future.
At Oldham & Smith, we will fight for all the compensation you are owed. Click here to see the verdicts and settlements we have recovered for previous clients.
In Florida, the statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits gives you 4 years from the date of your injury to pursue legal action. You can think of the statute of limitations as a filing deadline because if you do not file within 4 years of your injury, your lawsuit can be thrown out.
There are, of course, certain exceptions, as defined in Chapter 95 of The 2019 Florida Statutes.
Generally, the sooner you file your lawsuit, the stronger your case will be. For questions about the Florida statute of limitations or your case, contact our personal injury lawyers today.
- Transportation accidents: We represent individuals injured in car, bike, boat, motorcycle, truck, and golf cart accidents. We also represent pedestrians who have been injured by any of these motor vehicles.
- Tourist accidents: From rental car accidents to general tourist accidents, our personal injury attorneys recognize the unique limitations that apply to incidents that involve tourists.
- Asbestos litigation: Asbestos exposure in Florida can cause severe problems with mesothelioma and asbestos cancer. Most people exposed to asbestos have worked in an industrial, construction, or manufacturing environment, but asbestos has also been found in individual households. Our attorneys want to advocate for you and your family to ensure you receive the best medical care feasible.
- Drunk driving accidents: Anyone who is driving under the influence must be held accountable for accidents and injuries they cause. Oldham & Smith works tirelessly to ensure that you receive the care you need to recover from an accident.
- Children’s injuries: A child who suffers injuries due to the negligence of another deserves the best care and treatment available. Oldham & Smith’s personal injury lawyers work with children and their parents in developing a case that will allow for a favorable resolution. We will walk with you and your family as you face the trauma of dealing with a child’s injury.
- Brain & spinal cord injuries: Brain and spinal cord injuries can be catastrophic and life-changing for both the victim and his or her family. We work closely with the most respected specialists to receive a thorough evaluation and assessment of our client’s condition, rehabilitation, and prognosis. Our personal injury attorneys want to maximize the compensation you receive to cover both known and unknown expenses for the present and the future.
- Work injuries: Dangerous conditions in the workplace can lead to severe injuries. Whether your injury was caused by electrical equipment, heavy machinery, or something else entirely, our team can help hold your employer accountable for your suffering.
- Wrongful death: Our firm recognizes that nothing can replace the loss of a loved one. However, we do not want your suffering to be compounded by financial problems. If you have suffered the loss of a family member due to the negligence of another person or entity, our personal injury team wants to protect your rights and work with you to recover the financial toll the wrongful death has placed on your family.
If you believe you have a personal injury case or want to ask one of our attorneys additional questions about your case, do not hesitate to contact our office today!
At Oldham & Smith, all claims begin with a free case evaluation. Here, we will discuss your situation and explain your legal options. If you decide to move forward, your lawyer will gain access to your medical records and investigate your claim. Once we have all the information we need, we will issue a demand letter and attempt to negotiate with opposing counsel. Most personal injury lawsuits are settled outside of court. Nevertheless, we are not afraid to take your case to trial if needed.
The claims process can be complicated and time-consuming, but our attorneys will be with you every step of the way!
- A discovery phase (where both parties investigate all claims and evidence)
- Mediation and negotiation (another opportunity for a settlement)
- Trial (if mediation is unsuccessful)
- Appeal (either party can appeal the jury’s decision if they are unhappy with it)